Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Week One: What are the characteristics I will need to be successful in this MOOC?

-->
(1) The steps you took to further your own learning

         There are several steps I’ve taken to further my own learning in terms of professional development within my career.  I graduated 3 years ago with my Bachelors in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education.  The first year I moved out to Gambell, AK I took a year off from school (except for the occasional classes offered from the district).  At the end of my first year I enrolled in the UAS reading Master's program, then two semesters later realized that my heart was in mathematics, and switched graduate programs.  In addition to my Master's classes I've been to several other trainings with my district, been involved with Curriculum Development within my district, went to a reading conference in Texas last year, and will be going to an Explicit Instruction conference in Portland this summer to listen to Anita Archer.  
         Steps I've taking to further my own learning in this course however, has been a bit difference.  Unfortunately before I took enrolled in this class my only experience with any of the technology we use was creating and using a blog (I started a blog my first year out in Alaska for family).  I am still foundering a bit as I head into this second week too.  I’ve pretty much got Twitter down as much as I could (although I do find it hard to follow conversations on our diffimooc page).  I am still learning Dingo, although I did figure out how to bookmark stuff (hey, it’s a start!).  I have yet to understand wiki, or much about the Google group…but I’m trying!

(2) The way that you contributed to the learning of others in the class and to the best of your ability, 

             I’m honestly not sure if I really contributed to other peoples learning.  I’ve asked my fair of questions on our Twitter chat last Tuesday (not sure if it helped anyone though).  I’ve posted a few things on Dingo, but have not shared anything as of yet as I am still working on figuring it out.  As the weeks progress, however, I am sure I will be contributing a lot more to our class!

Essential Question for Week One: What are the characteristics I will need to be successful in this MOOC?

            The biggest characteristic I feel I would need to possess in order to be successful in this MOOC is to be open minded about all the avenues of technology we will experience while in this class.  At this moment, I am having a hard time with feeling as open-minded as I should.  I don’t feel like I have adequate amount of training on any program to even navigate any of it well (which is so frustrating!).  Another VERY important characteristic I MUST possess for this class is to be ORGANIZED! There are SO MANY different programs we’re using that if I don’t keep them all straight I will get lost for sure.  Right now I barely feel like I’m keeping afloat.  I sincerely hope next week will be better…

Oh, also here is my diigo http://www.diigo.com/user/aqavzik

1 comment:

  1. Amber- your class goals are great! Open mindednes a plus! The hardest thing for people to wrap their mind around with these tools (blogs, wikis, twitter, google groups) is that they are not for a single purpose - they can be just about anything you want them to be - which is both overwhelming and exciting too. And yes - organization is key - get that one down and you are 99% there!

    ReplyDelete