Saturday, March 23, 2013

Blog 9: How can I use Pearltrees to differentiate content in the classroom?

           
How can I use Pearltrees to differentiate content in the classroom?

       This week we were given the opportunity to learn a new program called 'Pearltrees'.  Although apprehensive when I first logged in, the worry dissipated as I began navigating around.  This program is simple and intuitive.  

      In my opinion the Pearltrees is a type of advanced bookmarking program that allows its users to save URLs, pictures and notes.  Instead of the traditional bookmarking system that uses folders or 'tags', this program chose a more appealing look.  A single Pearltrees is created around 1 main topic.  When websites, photos, and notes are gathered about that topic, pearls are added on (creating something similar to a branch).  The great thing about this program however, is that others can join in and contribute.  As a result of its physical appearance, simple navigation, and its ability to have users connect upon similar interests, Pearltrees can possibly a great tool to use within a classroom.  
    
      I believe using Pearltrees within the classroom has a possibility of being very beneficial in terms of differentiating.  I see this program as having multiple uses.  One of these uses is directed more towards the organization of information used within the classroom. This program can allow for teachers to organize all their online supplemental resources for given subjects in topics.  Let's say for instance, the topic and subject happened to be the States of Matter (Science).  A teacher could use this program as a means to organize additional videos, games, reading, photos and notes. Students who may be struggling in the concept, as well as those students who need enrichment, could use this site as a means to explore the topic deeper.  This program also has the capacity help teachers help students to reach all students on their intelligence level needs, from providing interactive games, music, videos, articles and photos.  Pearltrees could be an excellent program for a teacher to use within the classroom to help differentiate instruction.  

     Another use in which Pearltrees could be use to help differentiate content in the classroom would be to have students be involved with the program directly.  Although I do see this happening more in the older grades, it could also serve as a useful tool to use in a group setting in the younger grades. If a student is involved with the creation of their own Pearltree, it helps lend itself for a stronger connection with ones own learning.  A teacher could have students use this program as a means for organizing information on a specific topic, sharing it with individuals and digging deeper on given topics.  

     I definitely see myself using this program in the future, especially in terms of organizing supplemental resources on specific topics (especially science!).  I believe that this could really help aid in my quest to becoming a truly differentiated classroom.

Communication:

     This week has been an extremely productive week in terms of communicating with my PLN.  My partner and I have been in constant communication for the last week about Project 2 and we are now at the finishing touches (yay!).  I've also had the opportunity to share what I’ve learned about a program called a Glogster (noted in my last blog) with other staff members within my school. Although I did not actively communicate with Twitter (I did attend Thursday, but did not contribute much that conversation in particular), I did feel that it helped me better understand this week’s assignment.  I also spend some time this past week checking out other people’s blogs.  As a result I discovered some very interesting and useful games I might be able to use within my classroom. I look forward to seeing what next week has to offer.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment