Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Assignment 3


Final project reflection

Graphing with Colors

            For my final project of the semester my group and I decided to choose standards in the area of Mathematics.  Although I do teach 3rd grade, I also decided to incorporate 2nd grade standards (as well as 3rd) into my lesson.  Since my class is at a lower level in mathematics, I believed that these goals would better meet the goals of my class as a whole.  For this lesson students focused on gathering data and representing it in a tally chart, as well as a bar and pictograph.  Once students were finished with these products, they were asked a series of questions based on their information. 
            Overall I believe this project went well.  I chose to follow the Explicit Instruction model.  While following this model, I first game a teacher demonstration (I do), then guided practice (We do) and finally Independent practice (You do).  Before I presented this lesson to my students, I felt it was important and necessary to first gage where they were at in terms of understanding graphs.  To help with this, I had them complete a Pre Test.  The results of the pretests indicated that students had a much easier time identifying pictographs and tally charts.  The result also showed that near half of the class had a harder time identifying a bar graph, X&Y axis’ as well as answering word problems pertaining to a graph.  With this data I was able to better direct my Teacher Model to help teach and solidify missing gaps of knowledge.
            During my Teacher Model I involved students in my data collection.  The topic for my model was ‘favorite Yupik food’. With this I had students vote on their favorite food (out of a total of 5 different foods).  I chose to have students vote with their eyes closed, as I assumed I would get a better accurate measurement.  I did this, since I know and have experienced in the past that if students see other students voting a certain way, they end up voting the same.  This worked out perfectly as we had at least 1 person vote for each category.  Once I created the tally chart on the board I modeled how to create a bar graph as well as a pictograph.  This went flawlessly.
            In my Guided Practice portion of the lesson I placed students in groups of 3.  I did this in order to make it easier to work in groups for this next section.  Before student entered the room I scattered colored tiles around the room.  Once they were in the classroom I gave them 30 seconds to gather as many tiles as possible.  Once 30 seconds were up-they were to go to their groups.  This part of the lesson was both fun and engaging and I would definitely consider using this activity again.  Once students were in groups they were instructed to create a tally chart combining all tiles from all members of the group.  Combing and creating was the easy part.  I however came across the problem of groups being done way quicker than other groups.  I’m not sure how to prevent this.  I did not want them to move on, since we were doing the project all together on the board.  Once groups gathered their data, we combined them on the board.  After which we create a bar graph and pictograph.
            After the Guided Practice portion of this lesson-it was time for the Independent practice.  I gave students the option to work in a partner group or to work alone.  For the lower students I gave them a partially filled out Tally chart, bar graph and pictograph.  For the medium leveled students I gave them charts and graphs that were less filled out and required them to come up with their own scaling system and category names.  For the higher-level students I gave them blank charts and graph papers for them to gather their own information on. By giving students the option to work in partner pairs I believe I helped adhere to their comfort level, and it was really great seeing how well they worked with each other.  Each person in the partner pair had their own Jellybeans; therefore they had their own set of numbers for their charts and graphs.  The benefit to having them work in a partner pair was that they could bounce ideas off one another. Once they were finished they had the option to present their data using a program called ‘Photobooth’ or Prezi. The medium level students worked independently on their slightly filled out charts and graphs and continue to use the jellybeans as their source of data.  A few high students completed their jellybean charts quickly, and moved onto their own data collection of a topic they had chosen.
            Overall I think this project was completed very smoothly. It was amazing how the student who finished early were so eager to create their own tally charts and graphs.  They enjoyed collecting data on the class, whether it was people’s favorite colors, favorite animal or favorite basketball team.  The partner pairs worked out great and everyone was able to finish their product in a timely manner.  At the conclusion of this project students were given a post test-it was amazing see their mannerisms change so much this time around (the first time the complained about not know the material being asked). Overall students did much better on all aspects of the test.  The post test did however still show me a portion of the standard in which I could focus a little more detail on next time (or in further lessons).  The question in which still ¼ of the students missed was the one regarding X and Y-axis’. Knowing this provides insight and information on what I could improve when presenting this lesson next time, and I look forward to even better results!

2 of my students completed their presentations on a program called Prezi.  A link to both presentations are below.  

High student:
http://prezi.com/jukl-szwni5w/nikolais-graphs/?kw=view-jukl-szwni5w&rc=ref-38243443
Medium student:
http://prezi.com/qoeo0sjxg1tp/chases-jelly-bean-project/?kw=view-qoeo0sjxg1tp&rc=ref-38243443

Students were  given an option to present their data on either a program called Prezi, or by recording themselves on photobook.  One of my lower level students chose to present their data on photobooth, here is the recording.  As you can see the charts are much more filled out than those of the previous examples.

Lower level student:
 



Here is the data collected from the pre and post tests:
These tests were given to 17 students, below represents the number of students who missed the question in each area.  First in the Pretest, followed by the results of the Post Test

Pretest
Identifying bar graphs: 5
Identifying pictographs: 3
Identifying X & Y-axis: 10
Word problem: 7
Identifying Tally chart: 2

Post Test
Identifying bar graphs:0
Identifying pictographs:1
Identifying X & Y-axis: 5
Word problem:1
Identifying Tally chart:1

**The lesson plan in which i followed for this lesson is included in the Blog 12 post  

No comments:

Post a Comment