Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Blog 11: Technology and Classrom Management


Essential Question: What technology will I use to allow students to demonstrate they have met the standards targeted by my rubric? What are the classroom management considerations that I must address?

Technology

Using the rubric that was created last week our group investigated several technology programs that could be used to demonstrate proficiency in each standard. As a result, we determined that the best way to differentiate student’s end product would be to provide several technology options to present knowledge gained. Each of my group members and I chose to investigate different technology options based on our own students needs and learning styles.  We chose our programs based on the how we can help accommodate for each students learning style, as well as allowing for creativity. 

            At the moment I am in the mists of investigating a few programs.  Although the base program is not entirely decided, I do know that I want to incorporate the use of cameras into the project.  Students will be required to document their progress with photos and upload them onto a computer.  With these photos students will have the option to either create a slide show, an movie (either using photobooth or imovie), a computer application such as animoto or prezi (I’m still in the mists of deciding which program might be more appropriate and ‘easily’ taught).

Classroom Management:

            In terms of management while using certain forms of technology there are several things that should be considered.   When incorporating technology in a student based project the classroom will be a little crazy and louder than usual.  Student will also not be doing the same thing at the same time either.  As a result, I must assure that a few things are in place before hand. 
            One of the first things that will need to be addressed is the process in which student need to know in order to develop their product.  They must also know what is expected of them and what they should do if they need help or finish early. Before expecting students to use a technology project it’s important to actually teach how to use the program before hand.  To do this it may be wise to actually do the activity using the different program options as a whole group before releasing them to choose their own program and pathway to completion.
            A great management tool that could be key to a successful technology integration classroom is to encourage other students to be technology mentor for other students (hence the reason why group discussions could play an important role).
            For this project I will most likely assign particular students as ‘helper’ students. I will also have set rules for computers posted on a wall that can be easily seen and pointed out to those students who may be off track (some rules can include items such as; respecting other peoples privacy, leaving the settings on the computer the way they are, treat the computer with respect, no drinks or food near the computers, move carefully when around computers. Also displayed will be ‘cheat’ tips for each program option available.  This may include items such as; how to save your work and where to store your project. 
            Aside for the above mentioned management strategies; I will conduct my classroom using the procedures that are already established within my classroom.

PLN Communication:

            I’ve communicated rather frequently with my PLN this week. Aside from the email and Skype conversations with my group members, I’ve also spent time speaking with a more seasoned teacher about the expectations of using computers.  I’ve also been fortunate enough to have a few teachers suggest presentation programs that they have used in the classroom with their students.  I look forward to investigating the programs more in depth as the week progresses and am excited to get this project off the ground!   

No comments:

Post a Comment